Monday, August 19, 2019

Sorta' Gross Rocket Tip

I'm building a Mercury Redstone for Estes, so it's got to be clean. You know how it goes - some builds are smooth, some seem cursed! This one is somewhere in the middle.
Bill Stine asked for a flat finish. I spray all my models with gloss paints, apply decals then hit it with a dull coat.
It's very humid now, no matter how careful I was there was some "bluing" on one quarter panel of the fin area. Light coats and drying between coats usually get you through, but not this time.

Sometimes you can use some polishing compound to even out the tones. That helped but didn't get me all the way there.

I didn't want to mask and shoot the black again. It's a very complex mask. I was at the end of my finishing rope.

I had tried this years ago -
Yep, that's my forehead. I rubbed my finger to pick up some oil off my skin. This bit of oil was rubbed on the small blued area.
Polish and even out the black areas with a microfiber cloth. It's not perfect, but pretty good!

I wouldn't recommend this for a large area on a rocket, it's only good for small spots. Yeah, a little weird - but people spit shine their shoes. And, this is why you visit the blog to get the tips nobody else would post!

Now, a rocketry related household tip:
I just finished installing groutable vinyl tiles in my kitchen. After finishing I noticed some small patches of grout haze. That's a little bit of the left over grout still on the tiles.
This is vinyl so I didn't want to use a ceramic tile acid to clean off the grout. I went through the same order of solvents (from mild to strong) I use to remove paint overspray on a rocket.
I tried a Mister Clean Magic Sponge, nothing.
Next was Goo Gone and a paper towel. This did the trick!
Considering grout is waterproof and probably epoxy based, I was surprised it cut through the thin haze. I'm not suggesting removing an epoxy fillet with Goo Gone! It just helped break down very thin, leftover epoxy film.

2 comments:

  1. Whatever it takes, man...whatever it takes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, a new product?
    “Odd’l Rockets Polishing Compound”
    ... made from all natural ingredients.
    Note: supplies are limited.

    ReplyDelete