Sunday, September 27, 2020

Estes Colonial Viper #1310, Part 14, Canopy Forming



I redrew the canopy and added some very small gluing tabs, see the picture below. 

You will need to emboss the dashed folding lines. I still like using the tip of a dull butter knife and a straightedge.

The folds should be sharp and straight.

I used my long, straight tweezers and set the side right down the fold line.

My burnisher was run over the dashed line while the tweezers held the dashed line straight.

Shape the canopy making the longer sides as straight as possible. The sides will want to curve out. 

Glue the balsa post piece down the center.
On the left, notice I concentrated on gluing only one side of the back edge at a time.
It's much easier to match up the angle right side after the left side is glued in place.  


I doesn't require much glue to adhere card stock pieces. You can always add a fillet afterwards.

I had to pinch in the sides and hold the shape until the glue set up. 
TIP: Another reason to use less glue on cardstock like this - you won't have to hold it as long.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Chris!:
    That's a good tip on how to make nice, straight folds on the canopy! Having built a few card models, I made myself an embossing tool using a dulled xacto blade. I colored the blade and the whole knife with a sharpie so I can tell which is the dull knife.

    Sincerely,
    J.W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J.W.,
      Using the tip of a butter knife for embossing fold lines goes back to the original fins from the Estes Saturn 1B instructions.
      Years back I tried using a knife - your very dull knife could work well. Some instructions say to cut halfway through the cardstock, then fold. I've tried that but usually cut too far and end up with an irregular fold.

      Delete