Monday, September 7, 2020

Launch! Shoolyard Soccer Field, Sept. 6, 2020

I was overdue for a LPR escape.

The Semroc MMX MARS LANDER (now being built on the blog) went up first after some cleaning of the launch rod. Fit was tight around the little diameter launch rod.
Well, it actually looked better than some full-size Landers I've seen using a C6-3. Very stable and vertical to about 40 feet! The streamer ejected and it landed easy on the mowed grass.

At the last launch, the launch lug popped off the New Way MMX C-THRU. I added a plastic launch lug, the 3D printed lug was too small for my MMX launch rod. Today it was launched and got a respectable 65' altitude. Full streamer eject and no damage.

I'm still making adjustments to the CORKSCREW before making it an Odd'l Rockets kit. This was a Bruce Levison design, originally BT-5 based. I'm now using a Odd'l heavy wall BT-20 and 3" offset ring.
The body was shortened by about 1 1/2" to tune-in the corkscrew effect.
With the Chinese made Quest A6-4 and shorter body there was a more pronounced corkscrew during boost. After hitting 275', the tie-dye streamer ejected and brought it home.

Here's the second launch of the 3/4 size Centuri FLYING SAUCER. I used a C6-3 this time - I know, I should be using booster engines. At the end of boost, it turned to the North before the ejection charge fired. Estimated altitude, 120'.
This smaller saucer works as advertised - flipping over, floating down to an antenna wire landing.

I can endorse the Estes TAZZ as a perfect small field rocket.
Today it had a small spiral during boost using an Estes A8-3. Altitude would be a guess at 250'.
The helicopter recovery has a good spin but descent is pretty quick, landing with an audible: "Bonk!" There was some small sand dents in the replacement balsa nose cone. No other damage. The streamer recovered engine mount landed close.





This is probably my favorite Excelsior Goony, the HONEST GOON.
It's got a BT-60 body and BT-70 nose warhead section.
You won't get very high with the Estes B6-4, maybe 300'. This was it's tenth launch in ten years.





Touch Down - almost!
Six up, six recovered with no damage.
Next stop: Enter the launches to "My Flights" at rocketreviews.com

TIP: Keep track of your launches and flight stats. Add pictures or video.
Go to rocketreviews.com and setup your account!

3 comments:

  1. Uh ... Cyclone? Doesn't Odd'l already sell something called a Cyclone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,
      Yep - I always get those names mixed up! I'll correct the name.

      Delete