Tuesday, September 15, 2020

New Blog Format???!!!

Why do they want to change things - When everything worked pretty well before? 
The Blogger folks are changing the format for posting blog pages.

I like the copy and pictures to alternate, to be set to opposite sides of the page.
The new format dictates spacing. It's not as easy to make the pages visually interesting.

Most blogs are posting something like this, a centered picture followed by centered copy


Here's my 3/4 size Centuri alien encounter Flying Saucer at a schoolyard launch. Copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, blah, blah, blah.

I'd much rather see something like this:


Just in time for Halloween . . . 
Copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, blah, blah, blah. Copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, blah, blah, blah. Copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, blah, blah, blah. Copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, copy, blah, blah, blah.



Another problem is trying to "stack" pictures on opposite sides of the page. In the old format you could (sort-of) slide things around and make use of a lot of empty space. NOT NOW!
I do center some larger pictures, but don't want to be locked into a generic format.
I can't spend an hour on each post editing in HTML. You now seem to be locked into paragraph spacing that is set too wide.
WYSIWYG! Well, What You See Is Not What You Get!
Before posting a page, you always check the look in "Preview". Adjustments are then made to make the page more attractive. With the new format, things are really wacky! 

I have sent an email with feedback.
UPDATE: I tried again to use the new format. Very difficult, frustrating.
For the time being you can switch back to the old "Legacy" format, but I have a feeling that soon you won't have a choice.

10 comments:

  1. Facebook did the exact same thing a few years ago with their Notes page. I had written a few with pictures placed on the sides like yours and a couple of years later went back to find everything scrambled and no way to fix it. I tried to rebuild them from scratch and there was no longer a way to put the pictures to the sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More and more people are reading on mobile devices, and the pictures are not placed where your text says they are anyway. You may be better served using the default. The posts are wonderful but take only a minute to read, so you are not getting good value for your time spent formatting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The server recognizes a mobile browser and automatically rearranges the delivery. There's no reason for the same layout to be enforced on all devices.

      Delete
    2. My point is Chris points out where he put the picture (usually left or right), and on mobile, the picture isn't located there. If there not where you wanted them anyway on a large percentage of devices, why expend the effort? His time is valuable!

      Delete
  3. Hi, Chris,
    I've found the changes to be very irritating as well. Photos now get arranged inline with text with no wrap around.
    Also, photos are difficult to move around between lines of text. This is inconvenient if you put a photo in the wrong place and need to correct it. You pretty much have to delete it, place your cursor where the photo is supposed to go, and re-insert it.
    There is definitely a learning curve.
    I much prefer the old format that featured much more flexibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ed,
      It's good to know I'm not the only one!
      I may have found a "work around" so I can place a picture anywhere I want to, even moving them up and down. If I click on a picture you can make them larger or smaller, or left and right. There is an "A" with a line under it, letting you add a caption to the picture.
      If you click on that, the picture will now have a "insert caption" line at the bottom. Delete that caption line and you can move the pictures like before.
      Weird, huh? An extra step but it makes for better flexibility.

      Delete
  4. A notice comes up hinting that Legacy format will be unavailable in September. No exact date, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you've ever tried to fiddle around with CSS/HTML to try to achieve something like a "standard" sort of format where you've got a header and footer bands at top and bottom, and two or three parallel columns, then try to make this format "fluid" so that it will easily adapt to small form factor (by "shuffling" the content into fewer columns) -- you're apt to quickly realize that things get "twitchy" at times (i.e. things start "bouncing around" as it alternates between "yeah, this will fit" and "oh no, it won't"). At that point you're apt to basically say "$%&^^@!!" and go with "simpler is better" layout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      I was almost to that point! I may have found a get by way to place pictures so they are more visually interesting. I do some HTML but not enough to really have full control.
      Blogging has always been "twitchy", but not this bad!

      Delete
  6. Facebook keeps changing their interface too. It was pretty crappy to begin with, and I am getting tired of their “improvements”. My problem is that they release changes on iPhone and iPad at different times. Most of the time I’m on my iPad, but sometimes reading and posting on my iPhone. OK, I’m done ranting. I just had to add my gripe! :-)

    ReplyDelete