Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Carded Satellite Interceptor Build Part 6 Body Tube Wraps

Before you start gluing a carded model, wash your hands and keep them clean!
Carded models, especially white carded models will pick up any oil and dirt from your hands.


Bob Harrington's carded models are true carded plans. The flat print rolls into a body tube about the size of a BT-5.
For a little more strength, I decided to roll the printed half of the body around a regular BT-5 tube. This is a long body for a 1/2" diameter final tube size. I've had trouble rolling a long tube before and to make it easier, I cut the "tube" length in half.




I sprayed the back of the wrap with spray adhesive and started wrapping the tube down a pencil line.

Covering a tube this small, the wrap started to lift. I ended up sneaking some white glue under the lifted edge using a razor blade. The glued edged were rolled back down with the white barrel of a Sharpie pen.




Even at this small scale, the top of the wrap was continued with another piece of printed card stock.
I don't know what I did wrong here, but the upper red stripe was wider than the printed stripe on the lower body piece. I couldn't get it to print correctly so I'll try to make adjustments later.

3 comments:

  1. Seeing the size difference go me to compare the size difference of the page 1 and page 2 of this build.

    The Width of the body tube wrap (page 1) is 9.25 cm and the width of the body tube extender (page 2) is 11.5 inches. That is about a 20% difference in size.

    Using adobe reader – Print – Properties – Page Setup – Scaling. I set the print size to 80% for page 2.

    The two images are matching much better now. Also this page is where the horizontal wings with the two red stripes are located. I noticed they looked a little large on your finished product – actually touching the U in USAF. This 20% reduction of page 2 should fix that.

    If not for your image of the issue (and it's fix) here I would be in deep on this build and wasted hours trying to figure this out.

    Thanks for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My previous measurements were not 100% exact, just really close, sooo…

    Using a caliper I measured just outside printed section of the body wraps. Page 1 and Page 2 body wrap sections.

    Page 1 printed body wrap is 47.25mm
    Page 2 printed body wrap is 58.10mm

    Thus Page 2 should be reduced to (47.25 / 58.1 = 0.813%) 81.3% of its original size.

    Test… and… Oh dang. I can’t reduce by less than whole numbers in acrobat reader.

    OK, New plan… I printed one page 1 and three page 2’s.

    Page 2 at 80%, 81% and 82% - Test,,,

    The 81% page 2 print reduction is the winner.

    I would recommend doing this test for anyone that wants to print this carded model and arrive at your own conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      That build was quite a while back, but I remember page 2 wasn't quite right. Thanks for taking the time to figure out the scale. If I ever build one again, I'll remember the 81%!
      On all my carded models I always put in a 1" box so you can check it for correct size after printing.

      Delete