Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Funky Glue Putty = F.G.P. Part 1

On TRF, Mushtang is doing a great build of the Dr. Zooch Saturn V.
There's been posts about making "FPG or "Funky Glue Putty" for use in the Dr. Zooch kits, especially on the Saturn V engine bells.
I didn't have much luck making FGP the first time around. A few more minutes and made a few more tries I could have figured it out! Like anything else, you probably won't get it right the first time.
On my Zooch Saturn V, I took the easier way out and used 2-part epoxy putty.

Here I'll try to explain how to get good results making FGP with white glue.



Here's the obvious first try - using white glue.

Squeeze out a drop about 3/16" in diameter.
Instead of rolling it between my thumb and index finger, all of the forming was done on the heel of my left hand with my right index finger. 



Start spreading out the drop of glue into a circle about the size of a quarter.

Don't spread it out too wide, you'll be drawing it back to the center anyway.

The glue is glossy wet at first and will become dull as it dries.




Keep working the glue in a circular motion until it gets sticky and starts roll over on itself. The top skin is drying and rolling up now.

From the outside of the glue circle, start pulling the glue back to the center using your index finger.

More in the next post -


2 comments:

  1. I got a mention in the MRB Blog!! I'm SOMEBODY!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mushtang,
    In my book, if you follow this blog - you are somebody!

    ReplyDelete