Monday, May 28, 2012

Space X Falcon Pre-Build Uh-Oh!

I received an email asking if I'd build the new Space X Falcon kit for a client.
We both agreed on a price and the kit was sent to my home. I looked forward to the build.

I started the build without problems until I got to the self-adhesive body tube skins.
The first wrap (out of three tries total) tore when it was lifted from the backing sheet. Obviously, the die cut wasn't completely cut through the upper stick-on layer. I applied it to the body tube hoping the tear would close enough not to be noticeable. The tear was obvious and the edges were lifted.
I sent an email to the manufacturer and a new skin was sent out. I used one of my 18" long BT-60 tubes for a replacement.

I used the "wrap from the middle to the edges" method explained by Gus on TRF. This is a sensible way of applying a self adhesive wrap. You have a better chance of the print lines lining up at the edge joint.
I was very careful not to burnish the wrap until everything looked correct.
TIP: Never try to lift a corner on a self adhesive wrap! The Space X kit wrap is very thin and will tear. The second wrap tore - again, this time while applying it to the model.
Another email went out to the manufacturer. My build client was emailed on the "progress" and patiently waited.

This third wrap took longer to arrive than expected.
The manufacturer emailed back that they had received few returns regarding problems with the self adhesive wrap. The next round of kits would include a pre-printed tube - no self adhesive wrap.
I was told a body tube with a wrap already applied would be sent out.
The email said the installed wrap wasn't perfect but is "serviceable" and should be acceptable to the buyer.
I was to leave on a cruise job for two weeks, meaning another build delay for the client. This build should have been completed weeks ago.

I refunded the kit price and shipping charges to the client.

The pictures at the right is the wrapped tube that came in the mail.
The upper picture shows the alignment of the printed lines on the wrap.


Picture 2 shows a crease in the wrap.
It looks more like a body tube buckle from a hard landing.

While some items in the kit are outstanding, the wraps are unacceptable.
If the manufacturer can't install the wrap correctly, how could a young first-time builder get good results?
I couldn't send this out as an example of a professional build.

The manufacturer was cordial and made a good effort to send out replacement wraps. But, three strikes and you are out. 

A build blog will follow tomorrow, up to the point where I gave up at the wrap.
Very, very disappointing.

4 comments:

  1. Perhaps SpaceX should contact Carl at DFR Technologies about the wraps he produces for his line of scale model rockets. They give you a chance to try again if they aren't lined up just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think a preprint paper wrap would have worked better. Forget the adhesive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Admin,
    I want to talk to Carl about his build of the Space X Falcon. He mentioned some problems with placement of the nose cone wrap.
    The same company that does Carl's vinyl wraps did my vinyl for the Up! Cup kits. Some vinyls can be repositioned. Not so on the Space X kit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Jeff G.,
    Yeah, a paper card stock wrap (like in the Dr. Zooch kits) and spray adhesive would have worked much better.

    ReplyDelete