Sunday, May 6, 2012

Older Quest Launcher


After posting about the new Estes Pro Series II launcher, I got out my old Quest PVC launcher. This launcher was included in a Quest Space Clipper starter set I bought on Ebay for $10.00.
Quest sold this launcher in their first catalogs in the early 1990s.

Those black stripes are simply a peel and stick pressure sensitive half wrap.



The PVC tube legs are 12" long X 1/2" diameter.
Even though the outside diameter is 13/16" this is actually considered 1/2" diameter tubing.

The 3 way connector can easily be found online. I saw one for $.87 not including shipping.
You won't find the 3 way connector at Lowe's or Home Depot. You'll probably have to order it online.
I have seen the end caps at Home Depot.

Quest simply drilled a centered hole for the 1/8" launch rod.
Under the 3 way connector the drilled rod hole is off center.
I can't see a reason for it being off center. I would think you could drill the top hole, then turn it over and drill the bottom using the indented "Y" as a center guide for the drill bit.

So, buy a 3 way connector, 3 PVC pipe legs and end caps.
Cut and socket it together, use your existing blast deflector and launch rod.
This is definately a step up from a plastic launcher with lightning bolts molded into the legs.

6 comments:

  1. Nice posting about the quest pad. I remember having one of these with a Falcon "deluxe" outfit I bought in the early 90s. My launch rod hole was not drilled straight; and for that reason I never used the pad. I know it's around someplace.

    I agree with you on the latest iteration of the porta-pad. I never cared for the lightning bolt legs. The iteration before that (yellow) is the pad I use to this day. It has held up well for countless launching, and the yellow color makes it easy to see. The new pads seem too toy-like to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CenturiKid,
    That's interesting that your rod hole was also drilled crooked.
    I've also got one of the older Estes yellow Port-A-Pad launchers and used that until switching over to the Adeptor and a camera tripod.
    You're not the only one who feels the lightning bolt pad is toy like. It's come up in conversation before, some adults feel it's immature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ever fly off of a Centuri Powr-Pad? I've been using one lately, and really enjoy it. It's the most portable pad setup I have ever seen. The cord winds up into the controller which stores in the handle. The launch rod collapses and there are holes to carry both pieces in the pad. You can carry the entire pad with one hand. The battery is a bit expensive, but lately has been easier to find. I would love for Estes/Quest/Anyone to release a similar concept; now that the range box had all but vanished it's hard to keep everything together if you are just starting out.

      Delete
  3. To CenturiKid,
    I never had one of the Centuri Power Pad launchers. I did think it was a brilliant design, how the controller fit into the carrying handle.
    I did have the blue controller that was included in the Power Pad system. Pretty smart how the cable wrapped around the controller itself.
    The only Centuri controller I didn't like was the one with the air plunger. You'd press the plunger and it would blow up a balloon in the launcher base. The inflated balloon closed the electrical contact to the igniter.
    I still use my old range box from 1970, an old Plano fishing tackle box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chris,
    I ended up going down the DIY route with my pad. I used the base of an old lighting stand and have turned up some 'slugs' that the rods fit in. Pics here -
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/oflittleinterest/3463015584/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/oflittleinterest/3463012758/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/oflittleinterest/3462199701/

    I never liked the little Estes pad and even more so after I saw one launch skyward attached to a rocket!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/oflittleinterest/2254323965/

    Cheers,
    Sascha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sascha,
    I like the light stand launcher! Those rod slugs are impressive.
    If I ever get more into mid power, I thought a speaker stand could make a good platform. Strong, steady and light. Your "slugs" (or something like it) would have to be made to fit the stand.

    ReplyDelete