Friday, May 25, 2012

Carded Satellite Interceptor Build Part 9 Assembly



There are a lot of fins on this rocket.
For reference, use the instructions from the Estes website HERE.





When you are finished gluing, use a white eraser to clean up any smudges and dirt.
You'll want to clean it well before hitting it with a clear coat.
Carded models need a clearcoat to protect them when they land in wet grass.




Finally, add a launch lug under one of the wings.
This is a regular LL-2A lug covered with copy paper.
A glue stick was used to adhere the paper to the lug. One side was sanded off for a glue line.

2 comments:

  1. Nice Build! Ive done several. My cardstock models usually get about 4 flights in before they are too dinged up or warped. I usually recycle the nose and print off a new body... so much nicer than painting/decaling!

    What kind of printer do you use? I started with an HP inkjet. The colors were great, but I had problems with the ink running/smearing. I have since upgraded to an Epson workforce. This printer is amazing... fast and the ink seems much more resilient to smudging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Centuri Kid,
    I use an HP printer. The colors will smear if they get wet. So, I do add clear coats.
    I build my cardstock models with the outside skin rolled around a BT-5 or 20 for extra strength. If you make the fins with a thin cardboard interior it should cut down on the warping. I have some carded models that have been through a dozen flights or more.

    ReplyDelete