Thursday, May 31, 2012

Space X Falcon Build Part 4 Before the Body Sticker

I ran into a snag when removing the backing of the body wrap.
The larger sticker edges are pre-cut with a margin around the cut edges.

I lifted away the backing and the sticker tore! The pre-cut edges weren't cut deep enough to allow it to come off the backing paper.

I went ahead and applied the wrap as shown in the next post, but the 1/2" tear didn't go away.
I'm building this model for a customer and I wanted it to be right. I emailed the manufacturer and was mailed a new wrap.

Lesson learned: Double check the precut edges to be sure they are cut all the way through the upper printed layer.

While the supplied body tube has a pencil line already drawn down the body tube, I decided to lay the wrap as Gus on TRF explained. "Wrap from the middle out, not from the side."
Before applying the wrap, study up on Gus' posts on TRF - HERE

If you've done a few of these wraps before you know they rarely line up when the edges meet on the other side of the tube. Gus' method starts the wrap from the middle, then wrap one side around and then the other side.

By starting in the middle you have a better chance at getting it all to line up. It's also easier to smooth out the wrap as you go - no air bubbles.

No comments:

Post a Comment