Friday, May 11, 2012

Estes Phoenix Bird Build Part 12 Primer Tips

At a launch, you'll see plenty of rounded over edges on square fins.

On the Phoenix Bird, only the leading edges of the fins are rounded.

TIP: To protect the squared outside edges of the fins from being sanded round, I set my finger over the edge (in the picture, over the outside edge) to act as a "bumper". It keeps the sandpaper from rolling over the square fin sides.

I've been using Duplicolor Primer Filler lately with good results.
I tend to spray just one heavier coat and sand that almost to surface instead of three or four thin coats.

The gray Duplicolor primer is thick and sands off in a powder.
I'll use 220 grit to remove the bulk of it then switch over to 400 grit to smooth that out.
You'll save some sandpaper as all fillers tend to load up.

No comments:

Post a Comment