Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Old Estes Nike Apache Kit #1957 Engine Mount Fix

I found this unfinished kit in a storage box. It was probably bought in the late 1980s. Back then I was curious to see what Estes was up to after being away from the hobby for years.
The kit was available from 1998 through 1989 and still made in the U.S.

There were reasons why I didn't finish it.
Right out of the bag, the lower BT-55 tube had a dent in the back. I didn't have easy access to replacement tubes then and set the model aside after making the engine mount and sealing the fins.
Another reason to replace the BT-55 now, I had glued in a tri-fold mount and the kit supplied shock cord was only 12" long!


The engine mount was cut out of the bent BT-55.
I had used two wraps masking tape over the engine hook.
Out of curiosity I lifted the engine hook - the tape cracked!
This model was stored indoors in an air conditioned room and the masking tape still deteriorated!




It reminded me of tape left too long on a window.
The tape residue flaked off the engine mount with a light scraping with the back of my hobby knife.


I'll add the removable Kevlar to the mount.
The rotary punch won't fit over a centering ring already glued in place.
These holes for the small tube were drilled with the tip of an old knife.
The hole was widened using a sharpened dowel point.
I'm installing a replaceable Kevlar mount. See HERE
The small blue cotton swab tube was glued in place and the Kevlar loop fed through.
I was surprised the mount didn't have an engine block.
A block was in the spare parts box and it was glued above the engine hook.

I actually have another of these kits and will do a full blog build on a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment