Monday, November 11, 2013

Better CA Use - TIP

The Quest engines are sooty!
That soot sticks and can make a nose cone fit too tight.

It's easy to remove dirt from the outside of a body tube with a damp paper towel. But I wanted to remove some accumulated crud from the inside of the body tube. The inside of the body tube could swell or come apart if you get it too wet.

For the past few years I've brushed medium CA glue around the inside end of the body tube for strength and a smoother inside surface. Before I was only covering 1/8" to 1/4" of the inside lip.

From now on I'll extend the CA coat farther down the tube a little deeper than the length of the nose cone shoulder. After you brush on the CA with a Q-tip, lightly sand with 400 grit.
The CA coat seals the naked interior tube, Water can't penetrate into the card fibers.
Now I can (carefully) wipe off the interior soot with a damp paper towel.

No comments:

Post a Comment