Friday, November 8, 2013

FlisKits Tartar Build Part 5, Tail Shrouds

I scanned and printed off a few extra shrouds and fin wraps to be safe.

I'll be making "Super Shrouds" or double nested shrouds this time.
Go to the Apogee Peak Of Flight Newsletter #349 HERE for more detailed instructions.

Why do the Super Shroud? It's simply stronger.
Many will coat a single layer shroud with CA to stiffen after gluing in place. You can still use CA on a nested double shroud.
On advantage of the Super Shroud is the edge that butts up against the body tube is thicker, almost the thickness of the body tube edge.
You've got a wider gluing surface and a stronger adapter, nozzle or tail cone.



When cutting out curves, use scissors.
You'll cut a smoother curve than you could with a knife.
The scissors actually stay still, the card stock is turned as the scissor blades are closed.



When gluing paper to paper, I've had good luck with glue sticks.
White glue can be too wet. The glue sticks also give a little more time for positioning.




The glued tab was "set" by rolling over it with the back end of a Sharpie.
A clean dowel was set underneath for something to press against.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, not sure if I've ever asked you but how (or if) do you display your models? I'm guessing you have quite a few. Do you have them all out for friends and family to see or do you have them stored away in tubs and such? I myself have quite a few (75+) and would like to "show them off" but am a little daunted in figuring out just quite how to do it... Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm single and a wife can't tell you to put away your toys.
    Most smaller models are on a shelf, small launch rods are set in drilled holes, the models slide down the short rods.
    One kitchen cabinet holds my shelf queens, the ones I won't fly.
    A dozen models ready for Ebay sale are sitting on a dresser in the guest room. They are pretty much everywhere.

    ReplyDelete