Thursday, November 28, 2013

Ty-Wrap Retainer Ring? Part 1


Jeff Gortatowsky (gdjsky01 on TRF) posted this first picture before he added Kevlar wraps (instead of a tape wrap) around the engine hook.
"... as you'll see I wrapped the hook in CA impregnated kevlar string. You can see I filed a spot on the hook. The string is both around the hook/MMT and over and under the hook. Not just across the top. I've done this before and never had a motor rip the hook away. The ty-wrap was temporary and cut away later."

My response:
Hey, using a small ty-wrap in place of a retaining ring is a great idea!
I do like the use of wrapped Kevlar, but I would think the ty-wrap would be enough and work on LPR models if the upper bend of the hook is under the upper centering ring.

Jeff added:
"Hi Chris, be careful and experiment first. You don't want to pull it too tight or you could constrict the tubing."

No comments:

Post a Comment