Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Estes Gyroc Build Part 1, Parts

Here's a build by request, the Estes Gyroc, # K-24
I received my first Gyroc as a Free Kit for placing a $5.00 Estes order.

Wayne Hill's Rocketry Blog gave some history:
http://rocketry.wordpress.com/2006/06/06/rocket-of-the-week-662006/
"The Gyroc was originally released in 1965 and was offered as “Free with a $5.00 order” in the 1967 Estes MRN. The kit was listed as K-24 and was offered through 1983."

Years ago my first launch experience with the Gyroc wasn't successful.
The moment it left the launcher the fin panels flipped. I didn't install the hold-down tabs correctly. The Gyroc did a tight loop and stuck itself into the dirt. I'm hoping for better luck this time.

On the upper left you see how it appeared in the 1969 Estes Catalog.
As far as I know, this was one of the first helicopter kits available.
I won't be attempting this paint job. It would be tough to get the spiral paint patter under the large wing fin.
In later catalogs the Gyroc was painted yellow overall and used some of the black decals from the Beta kit.

The parts from left to right:
The "Tape Hinge" material will be cut from the border pieces left from a stick on CD label.
The "Flap Holders" will be carved from a larger craft stick.
An LL-2A launch lug, 1 1/4" long
BT-20D body tube, 6 1/2" long
BNC-20B nose cone
EB-20B engine block
1/16" thick balsa sheet (once known as BFS-20)
Instructions printed from the JimZ website
http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/estes/k-24.pdf
Elastic thread not shown

4 comments:

  1. Great! I've often wondered about the Gyroc. Will be nice to see how the the hinge and elastic is installed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thomas,
    There is plenty about the hinge and elastic coming up! I had to do some adjustments from the (somewhat vague) Estes instructions.
    Mine has flown twice and performs great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had built the Gyroc back in the late 60's and it was one of my best rockets. I liked the idea that you don't need a parachute recovery. The rocket swirls slowly to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ken,
      The Gyroc is a great small field rocket. Like you said, easy to prep.
      If I fly it at a club launch all the older flyers stop to watch it. It brings back a lot of memories for many.

      Delete