Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Estes Gyroc Build Part 9, Hold Down Tabs

Whoops! I primered the model before gluing on the hold down tabs!
This is right up there with forgetting the launch lugs and not noticing until you go to slide the rocket down the rod.

The instructions didn't make much sense back in the 1970s or now.
Looking back to my first try at the Gyroc, I probably glued them on upside down. I thought the tabs were used to friction fit against the engine - not so.
With the tabs in "neutral position" (the flaps held straight down) the tabs fit on either side of the round engine casing.



I sanded away the primer to open up the balsa for a strong glue bond.

Notice the flat side of the tab is up, the angled inside edge is down.

Look close and you can see how the tab sits beside the curve of the engine casing.

The inset picture shows the tab sicking out a bit from the edge of the flip-flap.

No comments:

Post a Comment