Sunday, March 22, 2015

A TRF Opinion Post About California

I don't go to the rocketry forums as often as I used to.
Many times posts go off topic. I went off topic today. 
GH Rocketman will tell you how he feels. I don't know if this is his true personality or not. Maybe he's just "baiting" me? I finally had enough  

From GH Rocketman:
"California is full of enviro-whacko FRIGGIN' IDIOTS.
Half of the crapola the politicians and bureaucrats pull there would get one LYNCHED here in Michigan.
We have the most correct vehicle regs here; speed limits are treated as SUGGESTIONS, ZERO vehicle environmental testing/checks, ZERO non-commercial vehicle safety inspections.
If it belches smoke like a 1920's coal-fired power plant, that's tuff fecal matter to enviro whaks. You can drive it down the road for as long as it lasts !
HUFF some fumes !"


My response:
Hi GH -
I'm tired of the California cliches.
Have you ever spent any time in California, beyond a few days vacation in Los Angeles?
Take a drive up the coast and stay longer than a week before you make judgments about people or lifestyles.
Before you leave this post, please read all of it.

I was very fortunate to be born and raised in Northern California, in the Monterey Bay.
The weather was great! Mostly in the 70s, it only snowed once when I was five years old. No humidity on the coast.
I never knew how great it was until I moved out of state.

I've lived in many cities, all across the country, most for over a year.
"Enviro-whacko FRIGGIN' IDIOTS?" There are idiots everywhere I've lived.
The percentage of idiots is no bigger in California.
The problem is, they put them on TV. That's all most people see representing the state.
People are people everywhere. There are good and bad, smart and not so much.
The percentage doesn't change by location.

Gasoline?
In the 1960s and 70s, the Los Angeles basin was covered in smog.
Too many cars and too much exhaust.
After all the emission regulations the sky is clear now, you can see the mountains and breathe the air.

Rocketry regulations?
In 1969 I couldn't get engines. Estes and Centuri would ship kits, parts and launchers but no engines.
It was a hassle, but I did get a permit. I bought engines and flew rockets.

Everywhere I've lived has had it's positives and negatives.
I've lived in Florida for years. It's a hot swamp. But for now, it's home.
Florida Traffic? Yes. Tourists who can't drive? Yes. Nut cases? Yes.
People are people everywhere.

If I had the choice, I hope to go back to California to live one day.
Sure it's more expensive, but you are buying the whole package.
The weather, the scenery, mountains and ocean. And yes, even the people.
Earthquakes? You'd feel a few each year. Since the 1950s, newer buildings are built to flex. Usually it's the older buildings that fall.

I'm a nut case. I play the banjo, bagpipes and the accordion.
I also build and fly rockets so maybe I get a pass.

I've never lived in Michigan, so until they broadcast a "Real Housewives Of Detroit",
I couldn't possibly form an opinion about the people there.

Sorry to sidetrack Blackshire's topic. Now back to the more interesting MPC body tube discussion.
I liked the MPC tubes. Sand off the roughness and no seams to fill!
__________________
Hans "Chris" Michielssen
Old/New NAR # 19086 SR

8 comments:

  1. Very nice rebuttal Chris. From his post I'm thinking he won't understand the gravity of your response. (Pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That gentleman is one of the reasons I withdrew from TRF and YORF, tho' he's far from the only contributor to spoil the signal-to-noise ratios.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Discussions of politics and religion are supposed to stay off TRF, but I find they pop up a lot more often than I'm comfortable with.

    I love TRF - it's a great resource, and I check it out multiple times per day. But I'd love it more if the topic of conversation would stay on rockets, and away from God and "liberal wackos."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hrm... given the nature some of the posts by GH Rocketman on YORF, he doesn't leave much to respect. His prank regarding pranks give me an impression that he is immature (usually his pranks involve defecation or leaving of feces on people's front porch). Some of his model rocketry posts seem to advocate unsafe practices -- all for fun. Given posts such as that, I'm apt to think that *he* is the wacko.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As part of the "package deal" with California -- it's an agricultural powerhouse. Due to geological features, California has a diverse range of microclimates -- and as a result, there isn't much that can't be grown or raised in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      You are correct about the California agriculture. My family owns a strawberry ranch, we grow the BIG berries for Driscoll and California Giant. We also grow artichokes and brussel sprouts. These "exotics" grow best in the cooler climate with fog.

      Delete
  6. Included in the "package deal" one would have to include availability of mineral resources -- thanks to the active geology. Varied geological and geographic features means potential alternate energy resources such as hydrothermal, wind, geothermal, tidal. Due to the climate -- Southern California would be an ideal location for tapping solar energy.

    As for keeping oneself entertained... I grew up near Fresno, California -- right in the middle of the agricultural center of California. Jokingly it was referred to being in the middle of nowhere (being in a rural area) *and* at the same time in the middle of everywhere -- around 3~4 hours drive by automobile to places such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Jose, Yosemite, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      I know Fresno! I knew I was getting close when I saw the "Oh Boy! Oberti Olives sign.
      I (like you) were close to everything. The miles to the hills, three miles to the ocean. Two hours to San Francisco, four hours to Yosemite.

      Delete