Friday, March 13, 2015

Peter Alway Saturn IV Build, Part 1, Plans and Parts

This model was from Peter Alway's Home Page. I can't seem to find it now! If anybody has a link, let me know. 
The website had plenty of sport and scale plans including a Vostok, Saturn I and a Flying Rabbit that looks better than the old Estes Cloud Hopper.

You can get Peter Alway's books:
Rockets of the World HERE and
Scale Bash HERE
Both highly recommended!


There's one model that has been on my "to-do" list for a while.
The SATURN IV!

This is Peter's "psuedo-scale" design of a Saturn that could have existed between the Saturn 1 and Saturn V, the Saturn IV.

Full resolution plans aren't available now, I'll build from the website pages.


Could this have been the missing Saturn IV?
Dick Stafford posted this on his great Original Rocket Dungeon Website. HERE

From a February 24 post,
TRF member luke skywalker has posted a summary of NASA's 
"Big G Final Report- Logistic Spacecraft System Evolving from Gemini.
This includes drawing of more cool looking rocket configurations that never were and the layout of the capsule options". Here are da' rockets."


I have most of the tubes already, the largest diameter is short lengths of BT-60.
The nose cone is a PNC-55AC, or the same nose cone from the Bullpup and old Arcas kit. I pulled one from the PNC-55 assortment.
I don't have the 55-60 adapter rings, an order is off to BMS.

11 comments:

  1. ... Hmm, I guess not; the page is there but the linked images aren't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm not mistaken the Saturn C-5 configuration is what was became known as the Saturn V, so that would mean that the C-4 configuration is what would've been known as the Saturn IV.
    http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/saturnc4.htm

    If I'm not mistaken, some early plans for moon landing called for multiple Saturn C-3 launches (i.e. the lunar expedition was assembled in orbit -- the lander, its fuel and crew were launched separately). The Saturn V cut that down to only a single launch (IIRC the Saturn C-5 and Nova were originally designed with direct ascent in mind).

    What would've been scary to see is the Saturn C-8 -- it would've been essentially in the same class as the unbuilt Nova rocket. If I'm not mistaken, Saturn V ended up just was as big as (if not bigger than) the early Nova proposals. Perhaps scarier would've been the version with the Nerva-powered upper stages. If I'm not mistaken Pilgrim Observer space station model kit (reissued a few years ago) was based on such an idea.
    http://www.round2models.com/models/mpc/pilgrim-observer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naoto,
      I went to the astronautix page. I had never seen the proposed Saturns! Very interesting.

      Delete
  3. IIRC one of the problems that they had on the Saturn V was with the F-1 engines -- the story is that in the process of working out problems with combustion instabilities in such a large single-chamber engine, they essentially chucked a small bomb into the engine to trigger the instability so that they could figure out ways to dampen the fluctuations. The Soviets avoided the problem by going with a multi-chambered engine. The other problem from what I recall was the "pogo" where the "sloshing" of fuel tank contents caused engine surging -- if I'm not mistaken, they hadn't implemented the fix for that until Apollo 14.
    Speaking of sloshing in fuel tanks...
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=saturn+fuel+tank+camera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      I watched the video - sloshing and baffles. The video said the baffles had been used for a while. I would assume not in the Saturns before #14?

      Delete
    2. some info can be found here:
      http://space.stackexchange.com/questions/5309/how-did-they-solve-saturn-v-pogo-oscillation-problems

      Delete
  4. Chris - I have a local mirror of Jim Ball's site (including Peter Always stuff). Grabbed it in 2010 when Jim announced the site was going away.

    Let me know if you need any files from there. - BC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian,
      I appreciate the offer. I must have had the PDF before the site was closed down. The problem is, I can't host PDFs on the blog server!

      Delete
  5. I should mention that my non-scale Saturn IV was a little bit of a joke, and was not actually connected to the Saturn C-4 design. At the time, I was on a Saturn-building binge, so I thought I'd make something that had the appeal of a Saturn, but not the work. The model could be built entirely from the Estes designer's special available at the time, in the late 1980's or early 1990's.

    --Peter Alway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter -
      Thanks for stopping by the blog! Lots of interest and questions about the design. Great design, I've had it on my to-do list for a few years now. I'll get back on it now that the Pershing is nearing completion.

      Delete