Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Estes Payloader II #3022 Build, Part 17, Future Shine Over Metallic Paint

I was actually excited to find the Rustoleum Metallic Red at a nearby Ace Hardware Store. This was the same brand of paint that gave me such great results on the Quest Stiletto. On that model I used the metallic black and silver paints.

This paint is very forgiving. Apply with light coats and no heavier finish coat.
I wish the paint dried and shined like the cap on the paint can.Because of all the tiny metal flakes in the paint you don't end up with a glossy finish. But under sunlight the paint shimmers.
I rarely use Pledge with Future Shine (or whatever they call it this month).
Some builder's brush it on thick and let it drip dry. That just didn't work for me.

The white paint on the body tube of the Payloader II was very glossy. The metallic red fins and nose cone weren't as shiny. I tried the Pledge on the red. I used a Q-tip dipped in the Pledge. Before "brushing" the excess Pledge was touched onto a paper towel. The Pledge is water thin, I didn't want to apply too much and get drips.
The nose cones were slightly pulled out of the tube so the Pledge wouldn't "glue" the nose cone in.

On the left is the red paint as sprayed and dried.
On the right is another Payloader II with the Pledge applied. Enlarge the picture and you can see the finish looks deeper and more glossy. The metallic specks show off even more.

I do use the Pledge on decals to seal the edges onto the surface. For me the trick is to apply enough to get a smooth gloss but not enough to drip.

No comments:

Post a Comment