Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Shelf Queens


In a comment, Jim asked to see some other models in the fleet.

Here's the Shelf Queens, the models that don't fly!
(Yes, they are in a kitchen cabinet. I'm single and can get away with this.)
Most are Dr. Zooch models, two Semroc Deci-Scales, an Estes 260 Space Booster and three different sizes of Mercury Redstones.
Most have flown - 
The 260 Space Booster, MPC Nike Smoke, Zooch Aries Stick, Zooch Little Joe I, Zooch Jupiter C, Zooch Atlas Agena B, Zooch SLS and the Zooch Titan IIIC.
The stands are small squares of cardboard with an engine casing glued on the center. CLICK HERE
The small red stands are the bases of the plastic champagne glasses from the Dollar Tree store. CLICK HERE


I took this one out of the cabinet to get a better picture -
The Dr. Zooch Space Shuttle.
This one isn't completely finished. The nose cap needs paint, a launch lug is missing and the elevon elastic hasn't been tied on.

I know - it's not a rocket unless it has flown!
Some of these (like the Zooch Soyuz and a second Zooch Saturn V) have too much build time in them. I don't want to see flight damage! 

3 comments:

  1. Chris thanks for the pics. My wife would have a fit if I was storing rockets in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the shuttle, are you going to add any logos on the wing tops, and the black and gray trim to the leading edges? When you paint the nose as you mentioned I'd *highly* recommend adding more detail to the wings and elevator, it looks so much better than the plain white wings.

    I can give you a link to PDF files that you can print to get you the logos and glue them on, or make decals from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joe,
      I'll finish the shuttle up one of these days!
      The leading edge trim is hard to mask and paint, I learned that on the Estes Mini Shuttle. Do-able, but hard.
      If you have that PDF link I'd sure like to get a copy. Send it to oddlrockets@bellsouth.net - Thanks!

      Delete