Saturday, March 7, 2015

Estes Payloader II #3022 Build, Part 14, Red Paint

The red was sprayed.
I used the Rustoleum Metallic Apple Red. The only place I've found this red is at Ace hardware. This is great spray paint and very forgiving.
When using this Rusto metallic, spray light coats. It is dry to the touch in just a few minutes. Don't spray a final heavy coat with this metallic.

TIP: shown in the picture to the left - 
If you want to see if the paint is dry, don't touch a fin or painted nose cone! Touch the over spray on the masking tape.





TIP: when removing the masking tape, pull it off back and over itself as shown on the right.
I have the best results removing the tape before the paint is fully dried.








With the tape removed, the model looks pretty good even before the decals are applied.

9 comments:

  1. Maybe paint the raw end of the nose cone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean the underside of the shoulder? Probably a good idea for the next one! I just left it bare balsa.

      Delete
    2. Weren't there some old payload models that included some material that was supposed to get stuck onto the back end of the nosecone and forward part of the noseblock (to act as padding for the inside of the payload section) ? I suppose such a material would also help to disguise the raw balsa ends.

      Delete
    3. Hi Naoto,
      The old Estes Shrike kit (K-49)
      http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/estes/estk-46.pdf
      had payload sponge disks.
      I don't know of any other kit that had those parts.
      I'm really not bothered by the balsa tops showing through the clear section. The sides are covered, that's good enough for me.

      Delete
  2. Hey Chris, I always enjoy your builds but this one in particular! I built an original Centuri Payloader II in 1977 during my "summer of model rocketry" (coupla friends hooked me into the hobby that spring). My nearly 12-year-old self was a terrible craftsman at the point (I made a quantum leap a year or so later), so the Payloader had sloppy glue joints, unfilled fins, and was painted a horrible dark green color with some sticky model airplane paint that took ages to cure. One thing I got right was masking off and painting the part of the clear payload tube over the balsa connector and the nose cone shoulder.

    Oddly enough, the rocket always flew well, and I actually still have it. My 15 or 16 year old self stripped it down and rebuilt it, so it doesn't look quite so dorky!

    I do have this Estes version of the kit somewhere, to build someday so I can go back to being "almost 12" again. {:-)

    -Lawrence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lawrence,
      Thanks for comments on the Payloader II.
      This one was one I wanted to build as a teen but never ordered it.
      The Estes reissue version is a bit shorter and the nose cone isn't the right shape. The Estes kit nose cone is an Alpha style, not the rounded parabolic Centuri cone.
      A real classic and one I can check off my list now.

      Delete
  3. I like to paint the clear payload tube where it joins the other parts to match the cone color ect to hide the shoulder part

    ReplyDelete