Monday, May 11, 2015

The Big Fix, Estes V2 Fix Part 1 Removing the Body Tube

My V2 sat in a tree for weeks after a Orlando R.O.C.K. in November, 2012 .
While I gave it up for lost, some club members came back and somehow got it down from the tree!
The fins, tail cone and nose cone were in pretty good shape. The body tube needed replacement and other repairs were needed.





The BT-80 tube is 7 5/8" long.
I picked up some BT-80 tube from JonRocket.com

The lower vinyl strip was peeled off showing the top shoulder of the tail cone.

I have to remove the tube section between the tail cone, keeping the centering rings intact.
Go slow - on a repair like this sometimes you forget what's under the body tube.

I made light cuts and carefully peeled away the tube.





I forgot where the upper centering ring was.
The epoxy fillets had held pretty well.

The tube was easily peeled away from the tail cone shoulder.



Here's the engine mount and tail cone ready for a new body tube.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Lonnie,
      The body tube came off easier than I thought it would. It just peeled off.

      Delete