Wednesday, June 24, 2015

3 or 4 "Starters" (Igniters) In Each Engine Package? Part 1

From YORF, I had an interesting exchange with Fred Shector:
My first post:
All of the recent engine packages I've purchased now have the clear tip starters.
I've been using those at the club launches where they have a 12 volt system.
I've still got a pretty good supply of the old Estes igniters and Q2G2s.
Most of my solo schoolyard launches use my older 6 volt Estes controller and the old black pyrogen tip igniters.
The new "Starters" remind me of bare nichrome. They take a moment longer to ignite.
Interesting to note, four of the Starters are included in each three engine package, like Estes used to do. Maybe anticipating ignition problems?
In the end I still might buy some dip and make my own.

Fred Shector's response:
"They have always packed 4 igniters in the 3 packs of motors because they packaged them for stores that did not sell igniters. This continues with the starters.
4 packs of mini motors also have 4 starters, not 5.
The new twin packs of 24mm motors have 2 starters . . ."


My reply:
The pictures show what I meant -
Most all the engines I buy are from Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupon.
First picture: Older 3 engine package with 3 igniters (black pyrogen tips) and four plugs.
Second picture: Newer package with four starters and four plugs.

As long as I have gone to Hobby Lobby, they have sold extra igniter packages next to the engines.
These engine packages were sealed and opened to take the pictures.














Fred Shector's reply:
"Yes, I was not clear.
Estes sells/sold two version of the 18mm motor three packs;
One for hobby shops and other online retailers (including Hobby Lobby) who sold igniter packs as well as motor packs. Those have (or had) 3 igniters.
Another for mass merchandisers who do not sell igniter packs because they do not have room or they will just be stolen (Wal-Mart, Target, Fred Meyer, etc.). Those had 4 igniters and now have 4 starters. These also had the mini packet of wadding since these stores did not sell wadding, just like they did not sell igniter packs.

Of course, things change. The same packaging may now be multi-purposed. I think the current 3 motor 18mm motor package is now deeper so it can also be used for the twin packs of 24mm C11 and D12 motors. I have not checked to see if the hobby shop version now has 4 starters instead of the 3 igniters they used to have. your photo clearly shows the hobby shop version (no wadding) and it has 4 starters, so perhaps they are now doing this for all the 18mm motors. Interesting.

I am positive that the Wal-Mart packages currently sold have the wadding and 4 starters for the 18mm and also for the 13mm motors. Michaels now sells these as well, but they used to sell the hobby shop versions with separate wadding bags and igniter packs sold as well. not any  more..."

No comments:

Post a Comment