Sunday, June 21, 2015

Rusto 2X Cottage Cheese - TIP

A forum post from Rich Holmes:
"Most of my rockets I paint with Rusto 2X, and mostly it works out fairly well. But the white sometimes is fine and sometimes isn't. Sometimes it's rough, sometimes an orange peel or cottage cheese texture. I'm thinking it's not a clogged nozzle, because in fact it seems to occur more with a new can, and because I haven't seen convincing evidence that changing nozzles helps (though I haven't been systematic about studying that.) I'm painting over Rusto primers. I paint in temperatures above 60F and humidity below 50% if at all possible. I shake the can for about 2 minutes before starting. I've had the same can, same nozzle, similar surface prep, give me cottage cheese one day and smooth gloss texture the next. Other colors same brand seem to be less susceptible.

Are there better gloss white rattle can paints that don't cost an arm and a leg? (If you want to propose non rattle can paints go ahead, but in another thread, please, I want to focus on rattle cans here. And let's not get too verbose about paint that is no longer on the market, either, OK?) Am I missing something in my technique? What works for you... if anything?"
Rich Holmes

I've drawn some conclusions after spraying many models with Rustoleum 2X:
  • The only color I seem to have the orange peel or "cottage cheese"results with is the 2X Gloss White. Sometimes I may see a small glob when using red or orange, but not the cottage cheese rough finish I can get with the gloss white.
  • The cottage cheese spray happens most often when the can is new. Newly purchased, right off the shelf. The can may have been sitting idle in the store for a while. Some of the thick pigment might be stuck up in the interior straw, the solvents have separated to the bottom. The first spray out of the can (or after being stored for a few months) could be rough.
  • While I do recommend shaking the spray can before spraying, no amount of shaking is going to move that pigment out of the straw.

Lonnie Buchanon came up with a good suggestion:
Hang on to the interior cardboard tubes from paper towel rolls.
Spray the scrap tube before spraying your model to clear any thick pigment from the interior straw. 
After the thick pigment is clear, then spray the rocket.
Sometimes you can hear a difference in the spray "hiss" sound.

Why stay with the Rusto 2X paint?
Most Krylon is crap, Valdspar takes too long to dry and WalMart Colorplace takes too many coats to cover.
I'm used to the Rusto 2X and pretty much know what to expect.
The Rusto 2X is reasonably priced, easily found and comes in many colors. So far it seems to be compatible with other colors in the same line.

Note:
The Rusto 2X paint will build up on the nozzle quicker than other brands. You can't turn these new cans upside down and press the nozzle to clear them. Before spraying I usually chip off any caked on paint with a fingernail. Just don't press down on the button and spray the paint!

11 comments:

  1. Good ideas here. I agree with your three conclusions from my experience.

    On the Callisto I just painted, a new can produced bad spray which I wiped off immediately and sanded the remainder when dry. Some days later I tried the same can again and it worked fine. I did a test spray onto an old shoe box lid before spraying the rocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rich,
      Your new can sprayed cottage cheese the first time, days later the same can sprayed fine. I had the same experience which leads me to think the interior hose has pignment build up that must be cleared out first before spraying the rocket..

      Delete
  2. I've had this same problem, with the white, the winter gray and even the yellow. Odd thing is, sometimes one side of the rocket will be fine and the other side will have a rough texture - sometimes cottage cheesy, sometimes more like a really rough sandpaper with sharp points on it.

    Always frustrating when that happens. Much as people complain about Krylon recently, the few times I've used Krylon I didn't have problems as bad as the Rusto texture issue.

    When Rusto works, it's great. When it doesn't, I just want to smash my new rocket to bits! But usually I just wet sand the bad paint off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to have the cottage cheese results on any other color than Gloss White. It is frustrating. Blowing out the build up in the spray tube (inside) might help.

      Delete
  3. The back of my workshed has many different colors sprayed on it... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone have any issues with Rust-Oleum Professional High Performance Enamel? I've been using that for my white and it seems to work well. At least I'm happy with my white painted rockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scott,
      I recently bought one (larger) can of the Rusto gloss white enamel.
      It covered like the 2X (very opaque, fewer coats) and it was smooth. I'll try some more before making a judgement.

      Delete
  5. I have had nothing but issue with the Rusto 2X but when it works it looks great. I only use a couple of paints, Old Formula Krylon recoat anytime, but you have to buy a case. Or I used the old Rust Stop from Rustoleum, works great and never have the issues that I have with 2X.
    Here is my vintage Centuri Twister painted with Rusto-Stop Green and Black.
    http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=15126

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      You hit the nail on the head when you say: "When it works it looks great." Rusto 2X is inconsistent. I checked out your green and black Twister. Very sharp mask lines down the fin root edges.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad that I'm not the only one to have paint problems. I was so upset when Krylon changed there formula. I suspect it had to do with EPA regulations. I wish they'd change back. - Tim Van Milligan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tim,
      Paint is a crap shoot anymore! The Krylon changes are from EPA regulations.
      I understand if you buy the Krylon "Industrial" you can still get the old formula. It's available six cans at a time.

      Delete