Sunday, June 7, 2015

Alway Saturn IV Found!

At the last R.O.C.K. launch on May 3, my new Peter Alway Saturn IV landed 50 feet up in a tree!
Yesterday I walked over to the rocket eating trees. I looked up to see if it was still in the high branches. Before leaving I did a quick sweep of the ground.





The Saturn IV body was at the base of the tree. Most of the model was there except for the nose cone and parachute. One of the six fins was broken off at the root edge.
It was a bit waterlogged and soft.
The BT-5 tubes are weak, but the BT-55 and BT-60 tubes feel very strong.






I would expect the decals to be nearly worn off.
It's actually in pretty good shape considering it was exposed to the heat and rain for over four weeks.






The Contact blackboard covering vinyl is in great shape! It looks like it was placed yesterday.
Pulling out the swelled engine casing might take some time.

When the model dries out I'll know better if it is flight worthy.
I probably won't do a complete repair. Sometimes flying models earn their scars.
Even in the shape it's in, I was glad to get this one back!

No comments:

Post a Comment