Monday, March 7, 2016

Centuri Astro 1, Build, Part 1 Parts and Choices


This is actually the Semroc kit, #KV-30. I'll be finishing it in the Centuri catalog paint schemes.
I've always wanted to build one, going back to 1969.

Many builders turned the fin around to where it looks like the Estes Alpha. That wrong grain direction led to a lot of popped off fins!
The inset picture shows the correct orientation. The rear tip is rounded off.

A few years back I had Lee Piester (Centuri President) on the phone. I asked him if the Astro 1 fins were a flipped Estes Alpha fin. He said no, it wasn't based on the Alpha.

I wanted to pick a catalog paint scheme.
On the left is the 1969 catalog motif. That would require a home printed decal.
The 1971 decal colors have a black decal and some black outlines around the fin root edges.
I have two kits, maybe I'll do one of each.

No comments:

Post a Comment