Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Centuri Astro 1, Build, Part 10, Fin Border Decals, First Try


The 1972 Centuri Astro I catalog model had a black border line around the root edge of the fins.

I tried a decal first. It wasn't successful.
I printed up the decal at home and hit it with three coats of clear acrylic.
A hole was punched to fit over the rounded leading edge of the fins.


Straight lines were cut down the middle and to the sides of the punched circle.
Decals tend to be a bit brittle and the punched holes weren't that sharp.

Here's how the decal fits over the fin and down onto the body tube.
This is a dry fit before soaking and transferring the decal.




I could see this coming.
After the thin strips were flexed and pressed into position, the decal edges broke off.
I'll have to try something else.

6 comments:

  1. Chris,
    How about black pinstripe tape ( available at many auto supply stores)? It's thicker than water slide decals but I've used it on a few rockets with good results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      Pinstripe tape would be too thick, the stuff I ended up using is thinner. Getting pinstripe tape around the leading edge of the fin wouldn't work. I found an alternative on the 3/16/2016 post.

      Delete
  2. Is this just to safe the effort of masking it and painting, or is there some reason masking wouldn't work well here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      Masking would be possible, but trying to get the widths of the side strips the same would be very hard.
      I show what I ended up doing on the 3/16/2016 post.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      Chart tape could work in some instances, but the black goes over the top of the rounded leading edge. I didn't want to piece the trim together.

      Delete