Thursday, March 17, 2016

Centuri Astro 1, Build, Part 12, Decal Wrap Fix





This is the second decal wrap I printed and it was still too wide!

I guess I shouldn't feel too bad, I've had a few kit wrap decals that overlapped.

I applied the wrap so the seam is right above the launch lug. When the rocket is on the launcher (with the lug behind the tube for a picture) you won't see the vertical bar that was trimmed.

I used my aluminum angle to cut through the decal overlap.

The cut was made before the decal was totally dry and still flexible.
Use a new razor blade. a dull blade could flake the decal ink.

On the left the overlap is peeled off.
On the right is the trimmed decal with matched corners.
Sure, it's not perfect, one of the vertical bands is narrower than the others but it looks better than the overlap did.

2 comments:

  1. I suppose one way you can "sidestep" this issue is design the wrap so the seam doesn't fall on an edge, but somewhere in the middle of a colored block -- that way if there is an overlap it's not as noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      That's actually a good idea, making the "break" in the middle of the widest upper band. The re-draw I did was based on the old Centuri decals I found online.

      Delete