Saturday, March 12, 2016

Centuri Astro 1, Build, Part 6, Fin Primer and Decals



The fins were set down on some sticky side up masking tape.
The root edges are butted up against each other to keep the primer off an area that'll be glued.
That's two sets of fins, I'm building two Astro I kits.
I wasted a full sheet of decal paper.
You can do all the measuring and planning you want, but a wrap around decal never seems to match up on the first try.
It is easy to go back into the drawing and shorten up the width of the wrap.

On the left is the orange and black roll pattern from the 1969 catalog.
On the right is the black pattern from the 1972 catalog.

The black stripes were meant for the fin root edges. The orange stripes run down the body between the fins on the 1969 catalog model.

Here's a comparison picture, taken a little farther on in the build.

This shows the size comparison between the Centuri Astro I and the Estes Alpha.
The Astro I is a much taller, more elegant model. The ST-10 tubing is around the same diameter as a BT-50 but the tubes walls are thicker. The longer body tube on the Astro I makes for a more stable model and some extra room for parachute and wadding.
As a first time build, I'd prefer the Centuri design over the Estes Alpha.

No comments:

Post a Comment