Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Estes Interceptor Build #1250, Part 22, Pod Decals

The wing pods were painted fluorescent "Rocket Red". The spray paint came from Ace hardware. As mentioned earlier, I thought the color was more of an orange than a red.
Looking at the catalogs, I always thought these pods were a red color, but the instructions do say to paint them fluorescent orange. I got it right without even knowing it.



There is a problem though, fluorescent paints are a flat finish. The wrap-around decal won't stick to a flat finish.




I applied some Future floor finish acrylic with a Q-tip "brush". This glossed it up pretty well.

Be sure to wet the surface before applying the decal. It seemed to grab the clear coated area quickly.
The decal was a little wider than the circumference of the pod. I centered the second bar from the end over the pod joint. This put the ends of the decal towards the center of the trailing end of the wing. You can see the spacing is tighter where the decal ends meet. Placing the ends at the middle will hide the tight spacing joint.



I doubt you'd want to place all the decals in one sitting. I kept track and it took FOUR HOURS to place all of them.
It would have gone a little quicker if repairs weren't needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment