Saturday, January 4, 2020

Centuri Argus #KB-9, Finished




I was very happy with the finished models.
I know it was an Centuri A.R.T.F. (Almost Ready To Fly) but I got some satisfaction redrawing and printing the stick-on decals. The small upper wrap matched up perfectly!
This was the first time I ever printed stickers, the finished look is good. The sticker thickness isn't really noticeable. I could have made decals, but wanted to get it close to the original kit.
Beyond the simplicity of an A.R.T.F., there was still tube seam and balsa filling and improvements like the shock cord retention.

This will be a great model for the soccer field with a B6-4, C and D Q-Jets at the new NEFAR flying field.





Here's the two different fin can colors.
I actually like the yellow one better. The triangle fin stickers aren't a full opaque white over the red paint.







Tomorrow - Starting the newly released Estes Side Kick!

8 comments:

  1. What can I say, looks great as always. I know you have had issues with some of the Rusto X2 paint. Have you had the same issues with Regular Rusto Stop Rust spray paints that have been around forever?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scigs,
      Yeah, I probably bought the Rusto 2X at first because it was convenient and they had a lot of color choices. I haven't used the original formula in years. I have had better luck (than the 2X Gloss White) using the Rusto Premium Enamel in the larger silver label cans. I hope to answer your earlier comment question about gray or white primer in a upcoming post.

      Delete
    2. Chris, thank you for the answer, I just used original formula on the ESAM-58 and the Army Olive Gloss came out pretty nice with no cottage cheese. The reason I ask about flat white vs gloss white as undercoat because I am thinking about doing this on my builds.

      Delete
    3. Hi Scigs,
      I use the gloss white instead of the flat. The gloss undercoat shows all the rough spots and any uneven areas The flat white can hide imperfections.

      Delete
    4. Chris,
      If I had to guess that is your reason for using gloss white vs flat right, I would have guessed wrong. Thanks for the answer, I will give gloss white a shot as my base coat.

      Delete
  2. One of my favorite builds by you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      Thanks! For some reason I liked this one more than most. Maybe it was because it was hard finding a good scan of the stickers and ended up drawing them myself. I also got to pull two Eliminator kits and lighten the build pile. I wouldn't have ever built those or used the fin cans otherwise.

      Delete
  3. I think I will use a clearance Eliminator to make a Challenger II for my Astrocam. Both Nosecones are yellow so it's a good start.

    ReplyDelete