Tuesday, January 28, 2020

New Sanding Block from Apogee

The Great Planes Easy Touch Sanding Block is probably my most valuable rocket building tool. I have two of them on my bench, one with 220 grit, the other has 400 grit.
They haven't been produced since Hobbico went out of business.

Apogee Components saw a need and filled it -
This is their new 11" long Sanding Tee.
To see it: CLICK HERE

You can hold a piece of folded sandpaper around the sides with your fingers while sanding. I find I have more control using some sticky back sandpaper, you can certainly use that here. With adhesive backed sandpaper you can concentrate on sanding instead of trying to keep the sandpaper tight and still.
Apogee added a rounded side, Tim says it is for sanding fillets. You've got to be careful sanding over a hard edge like this. You can easily sand into the balsa fin.
This new Sanding Tee is sold in an 11" length.
My two Great Planes sanding blocks are both 5.5" long, a perfect size for me. If I were to buy an Apogee Sanding Tee, I'd probably cut it in half and have two blocks with different grades of sticky backed sandpaper on each.

This looks to be an essential addition to any work bench.

11 comments:

  1. I think the "handle" needs to be redigned. I'm not sure how comfortable or controllable that one is. But, for those that don't already have a Great Planes one (or four), it's still better than not having one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree the handle needs to be redesigned. The Easy Touch has a contoured handle much better for holding and control. Also holding the sandpaper just adds a complication. Replicating the Easy Touch is probably too $$$ and may have legal issues as well.

      Delete
    2. Metal and Anonymous -
      I agree, the handle on the Great Planes block is probably more comfortable to use. I'm used to the larger handle. This Apogee block will work with the sticky backed sandpaper so were halfway there.

      Delete
    3. Ditto on the handle. I have a few of the Great Planes and the first thing I thought of when I saw the Apogee tool was the fatigue factor. A couple of pieces of wood epoxied to either side should cure that.

      Delete
    4. From looking at the Apogee site they designed the handle to use as an “angle iron” for drawing lines on body tubes. Nothing wrong with making something a multitasker - as long as that doesn’t make it’s primary purpose less useful.

      Delete
  2. I saw that was coming out. Looks like an acceptable alternative to the Easy Touch, and the price isn't bad.

    I saw another sanding block on Amazon which looks like it could possibly be used like an Easy Touch, but since I have three of the Great Planes sanders, I'm not about to buy another one just to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And if you cannot wait for Apogee to restock these, check out something similar on McMaster-Carr. https://www.mcmaster.com/aluminum-t-bars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      Thanks for the link - I checked them out. The McMaster Carr T bars could certainly work. When you get up to the 2" wide base (like the Great Planes sander) the aluminum is twice the thickness as the old OOP GP block.

      Delete
  4. This Apogee unit looks like the old ADC sanding bars. I have one that I thought was great before the Great Planes units came out. I’m glad I have three short and one medium Great Planes sander.

    I wonder if GP actually had that extrusion made especially for them. If not, the trick will be finding what else it’s used for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernard,
      I have a feeling that Great Planes had these specially made for them. There is a design patent number on the label.

      Delete
  5. I grabbed a couple of these Apogee blocks and cut them in half, worked great:

    https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/short-aluminum-sanding-block.161205/

    Also, on the advice from Chuck Haislip, bought some of the Dura Blocks the car folks love. I can't go back now, those things are incredible:

    https://www.dura-block.com/

    ReplyDelete