Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Quest Future Launch Vehicle #3013 Build, Part 2, More Parts






The body wrap sheets are the highlight of the kit. The art is very well drawn and printed. The lower wrap is on the right side. The wrap paper stock is pretty thin.

Here I'm laying them flat to take out some of the curl after being stored in the body tube.



Here's the thin fin (center) core card stock.

Below the core piece are the fin covers.
At the bottom is the single layer nozzle shrouds. They are are thin as copy paper, printed on glossy 20 lb. stock. Not as strong as I would like considering these nozzles will touch down first and could get bent.



I found the face card sticker interesting.
When the kit was first produced the warning read: "Recommended for ages 10 and up with adult supervision for those under 12."
Later a white sticker covered up that information and the ages were changed to "under the age of 14."

The 14" Quest parachute is flexible, not "crispy" like some of the older ones. The tape disks (rounded squares) look to be made from Tyvek.

2 comments:

  1. Could get bent? That's an understatement. I don't know if you've seen mine, but that'll show you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Metal,
      I don't have a "built as per the instructions" launch and recovery to make a comment on any flight damage. I played it safe and made the fins and nozzles stronger. I'll bring it to the ROCK launch and show you what I did. It's all coming up in the blog build.

      Delete