Friday, January 3, 2020

Launch! Schoolyard Soccer Field, January 2, 2020



Saturday's Orlando R.O.C.K. monthly launch might get rained out! I prepped some smaller models for a quick schoolyard launch.

I had a Semroc MicroMaxx Blue Bird Zero ready. I can transport the smaller rockets in my old range box. When I lifted it out, the igniter was gone! I couldn't find it in the bottom of the box. Maybe next time.

My older Quest VIPER was my second choice for flight. A Quest BP A6-4 got it to about 250'. A new kite tail streamer brought it back close to the launcher.




Another favorite was next - the Estes CURVILINEAR had its 20th launch with an  Estes A8-3.
Estimated altitude was probably 200' with a 12" Odd'l chute recovery.




First real damage to a stubby, strong model. A fin was cracked off at the root edge. An easy fix with white glue when I got home.
I hoped for a launch shot of the new Centuri ARGUS. A Estes B6-4 should give a slower initial boost and a good picture.

I didn't get a burst, only a single shot. The flash had popped up right before launch. I learned that burst can't take continuous pictures with the flash activated! I did get a touch-down picture of the separate upper section.

Notice the parachute sticking halfway out of the low section. The engine casing slipped by the engine hook and ejected! Not enough pressure to blow out both chutes.
Altitude was an estimate at 300'.




Here's a decent launch picture of  the Seattle Rocket Works SLAT / S.
This is the second launch using an Estes A8-3. I guess the altitude was near 250'.





Only four in the air and two cracked fins. I found a crack in the fin can on the Viper when I got home.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris. Any idea what may have caused the glue joint to fail on the Curvilinear fin? Your build techniques are above reproach, so I'm surprised that this happened. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      Above reproach? Hah!
      The glue held fine, the break was just outside the glue fillet area. It was just a hard landing. That was the first damage on the 20th launch of the Curvilinear.

      Delete