Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Quest Future Launch Vehicle #3013 Build, Part 3, Engine Mount

I'm not a big fan of the thin walled yellow engine mount tubes. This one was cut about 3/16" short of the normal 2 3/4" length.
If assembled by the instructions, using the engine hook slot - the engine block ring would extend beyond the top of the short tube!
I'll replace this tube with a Odd'l Rockets Heavy Wall BT-20H.



The fit of the centering rings is too loose in the main air frame tube. While it could be used, it would take too much glue to fill the gap.


The rings also needed a small relief notch for clearance over the engine hook. I used a rotary punch to make a partial crescent cut.
To make up for the loose centering rings, I made some balsa gussets. Cut them wide and sand to fit. These make the entire mount much stronger without adding any real weight.

To better seal the upper loose ring, a bead a glue was set around the edge and allowed to dry before gluing the mount in the body tube.

1 comment:

  1. Seems consistent with my experience - the quality of Quest kits is a bit hit or miss. The Future Launch Vehicle is one I’ve had in my shopping cart more than once but have never pushed the button to finish the transaction. Another interesting build!

    ReplyDelete