Thursday, May 14, 2020

Big Bang Rocket Episode

To show what a rocket nerd I am -
I'm watching a re-run of the Big Bang Theory, the episode was centered around model rockets. Howard found a storage box of rockets from when he was a kid, twenty years before.
I'm looking kit boxes and thinking: "That's not packaging from twenty years ago. That's the current package art.
Howard and Sheldon agree to build an Estes Saturn V from a kit. The very next day they try to launch it in the desert. The next day? You know those things can take 50 to 60 hours to build and paint!
The rocket blew up on the pad. My thought: "Rockets don't C.A.T.O. like that!"
I think I need a date.

5 comments:

  1. One of them has an Alpha III. And looks like there is a Mercury Redstone on the work station.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Scientist,
      There were probably ten rockets in the episode, most were on the floor or sticking out of a box. This was the only online picture I could find.

      Delete
  2. From the 2018 film "Peter Rabbit"
    https://images.fancaps.net/images/movies/Peter_Rabbit_2018/Peter_Rabbit_2018_Screenshot_0467.jpg
    aside from some recognizable model rockets (e.g. Interceptor, and two Shuttle X-Press), there are a few recognizable plastic models such as the Polar Lights "Apollo 27" and the AMT Leif Ericson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Saturn V in the picture is the #2001 version, issued from 1988-1994 so they were probably spot on. See here:
    https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showthread.php?t=17718

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      The Saturn V is the correct box for the years that were referred to in the script. I wish the picture was more expanded to see the more current boxes and models sticking out of the box.

      Delete