Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Centuri Vector V #KB-2 Build, Part 3, Those Viking Fins!



You could use the Viking fins, but it turned out they were a little short.
I'm building two different Vector Vs with different fin positions on each. One model will have the longest fin side glued to the lower BT-55 tube.
The BT-55 tube on the Vector V is 2.3" long, the Viking fin root length is closer to 2".

I drew up the fin tracing and enlarged it to the correct 2.3" root edge length. The interior dashed line is the Viking fin. I'll use this larger fin template on both builds.

I was curious if the Viking fin shapes were consistent. Older die-cut style fins weren't usually uniform, the blades in the die block could shift over time.

On the right is the back side of the fin sheet. the blades were probably old, they cut didn't go all the way through.


After some careful stacking -
You can see how off the cuts are. You could clean them up with a sanding block. I'll cut new fins using the slightly larger Vector V size.

3 comments:

  1. Submitted for your consideration: :D

    https://www.facebook.com/342225624758/photos/a.10154461357759759/10157224319984759/?type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the upscale! The original size Vector V is pretty small.

      Delete
    2. That's why I upscaled it to ST-10 and ST-18. :D

      Delete