Saturday, May 9, 2020

Launch! Schoolyard Soccer Field, May 8, 2020

The morning temperatures were going to be around 56 degrees. This might be the last cool morning for a while! I walked over to the Soccer field a little after 7 a.m.

I prepped two Micro Maxx rockets for today.
On the left is a new MMX ASP CORPORAL. The build is upcoming on the blog.
I had some trouble getting ignition using an old "Silo" style igniter. I always keep some used (but reusable) igniters in my range box. It finally lit after holding down the controller button for a good three seconds. Boost was straight but there was a little coning wiggle towards apogee. Mylar streamer eject, no damage on recovery. 75' estimated alititude.

The FlisKits MMX SHREW was second up. This is a small fat rocket so altitude was probably only 40'. Streamer deploy, no damage.



An old standby -
The Quest ORANGE (Cobalt) was boosted with a Chinese made Quest A6-4. Noisy boost to about 225'. The four second delay is one second too long for this stubby, it was nose down and falling fast when the streamer was ejected. No damage on recovery.







Check out the gray smoke from the Quest Q-Jet B4-4!

My RED MAX clone is one of the older rockets I have. The build goes back to 2005 when it was originally painted orange with a short nose cone. It was cleaned up, painted red and got the longer nose cone.

The Q-jet B4-4 boost is not as loud as a black powder Estes engine. Very stable, as would be expected. Full chute deploy, no damage at pick-up.
Estimated altitude would be around 300'.





Back to a black powder engine - 

Here's the Quest X-15 with an Estes B6-4.
Textbook flight with chute ejection at an estimated 325'.
No damage on recovery.
Everything was good - up until now . . .



Here's another Q-Jet B4-4 in my Estes single stage LONG TOM. I've never launched this one, it was built a few years ago.
The parachute did have a small spill hole, but it didn't help very much. The wind was starting to pick up.
I thought the altitude would be lower considering the size of the model. It probably got to 350'!
It drifted and drifted some more. I saw it cleared the trees but landed behind a residential fence. I might go back a little later. I'll put on a face mask before knocking on the door!

Six up, five recovered. Why do you always seem to lose the ones that turned out well?

EDIT: I left a message and phone number on the door. I got a very cordial call about an hour after I got home. The Long Tom was found and left at his front door. I picked up the rocket, left a bottle of wine and a thank you note.

3 comments:

  1. Wow talk about great community relations! How large is the field? You are lucky to have a place to launch.

    Cheers,

    Philip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phillip,
      The guy who found the rocket was very nice and had a few rocketry questions. He knew about Estes and had launched a few rockets with his sons in the same field a few years before.
      I thought about leaving something to say "Thanks" and had a few extra bottles of wine. I figured: "Why not?"
      I am fortunate to have a field close by. It's not huge, a B6-4 in a BT-55 tall model or a C6-0 in a saucer is the high end here.

      Delete
  2. Great launch session! Good read.
    I'm also lucky to have a couple different B6-4 fields close to home. I like not having to travel too far for a rocketry fix.

    ReplyDelete