Saturday, May 16, 2020

Centuri Vector V #KB-2 Build, Part 1 Parts

The parts were assembled using Estes diameter tubing and the nose cone from the Viking kit. I thought I could use the Viking BT-20 tube, but ended up cutting some BT-20 tubes I had.
I could have gone the extra and ordered some Centuri ST tubes but this was really a spare parts/spare kit clone. More blog readers could build this model using the more easier to find Estes "BT" tubing.
The Vector V kit used two ST-7 tubes, one 3" and the upper 6" tube joined by a 1" long coupler.
SMART DESIGN FEATURE -  Why two BT-20 tubes? The coupler doubled as an engine block. No sliding the engine block (into some glue already in the tube) from the bottom!

The parts of interest:
Five heavy cardstock fins, I cut mine from framing mat board
Double walled "nested" super shroud (upgrade from the original kit single wall reducer)
The 1" long BT-20 coupler
2.3" long launch lug, as tall as the lower BT-55 tube
Basswood strip for the seven detail "vanes"

3 comments:

  1. Some current Estes kits use two lengths of BT-20 and a coupler that way....the one that comes immediately to mind is the Sterling Silver (Epic II at Hobby Lobby) two-stager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bernard,
      I steer away from BT-20 kits so I haven't seen the most recent small diameter Estes offerings. I believe Centuri was the first to use this coupler/engine block idea.

      Delete
  2. I remember the coupler-as-engine-block as a standard feature of Centuri rockets; I built them exclusively the first two or so years I flew rockets, and the first time I remember ever shoving an engine block up into a tube with an expended engine casing, it was an Estes rocket.

    ReplyDelete