Friday, May 8, 2020

Semroc Aerobee-Hi KV-2 Build, Part 2A, Fin Forming

On YORF, 
"Gus" (Steve Krystal) and Peter Alway were comparing original Model Missiles Aerobee Hi kit parts with the Quest 50th anniversary commemorative kit from 2008.
I had a question after starting my Semroc Aerobee Hi kit -

Hi Steve,
Thanks for posting the pictures, interesting to compare the two kits.
Question for you - What is the thickness of the fins?
I have a more recent Semroc Aerobee Hi kit and the fins are 3/16" thick!
Maybe I'm too used to 3/32" thick fins, but the kit fins just look clumsy!


Chris,
Fin thickness is 3/32. Photo below is of the actual die-cut sheet which just happens to include the relevant info, LOL.
Steve


Thanks Steve!
I'll be cutting some new (appropriate thickness) fins!
I had a feeling the fin stock was too thick.


EDIT: Strange - If you look up the kit fins on the Semroc website, they are listed as 3/16" thick: CLICK HERE

6 comments:

  1. The mix up in fractions reminds me of the A&W Third Pound Burger story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lonnie,
      I didn't know the A & W third pound story, I just did a search. Pretty amazing how some don't understand fractions. At the print shop, we interviewed a girl who said she was a graphic artist only to find out she couldn't read a ruler.
      On this rocket I didn't find the thicker fins a better value, it just looked stupid.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps the thick fins could still be used -- in a Goony?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Naoto,
      Nope, no Goony on this one. It's too normal a looking rocket. I threw out the thick fins!

      Delete
  3. OK, I checked ROTW and the actual fin thickness I believe was 2.058" at the root. The Aerobee Hi was an improved Aerobee 150 so I used the 150's specs. So that translates on this scale to .113", which places it between 3/32" and 1/8" thick.
    My states stay at home orders have been extended to the end of May, so I have nothing better to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi BAR,
      I haven't been going out much either, I'm doing a lot of model research too. An upcoming Centuri Vector V clone required a LOT of extra work to get close using Estes tubing.
      It'd be nice to do a closer to scale treatment on the Aerobee Hi, but I was hoping to build it to look like the old Model Missile kit.
      Your scale research lets me know the 3/32" thick fins are closer than the 3/16" fin stock that came in the kit.

      Delete