Monday, July 6, 2020

Estes Mars Longship Build #7296, Part 7, Gluing On Ring Supports

Use the full size marking template to mark the locations of the "H" card stock pieces.
On the right I used my aluminum angle to extend the marks over the height of the ring.

TIP: Double, then triple check these marks against the full size drawing. Placement of the "H" pieces is critical for the fin spacing and the decal placement later.





I used my sanding block as a flat reference to be sure the bottoms of the "H" pieces and the ring were even.






A dry fit (no glue) of the ring on the interior fins was loose. This was a pre-production kit and adjustments are being made before the general kit release.

I added card stock strips to the outside edge of the interior fins for a tighter fit.



I didn't glue the ring on yet. Getting good paint coverage on the inside of the ring would be hard so I'll spray it separately off the model.

This masking tape strips were set over the glue areas. The ring got a shot of gloss white, inside and outside.

4 comments:

  1. Getting precise ring fit is always an adventure!

    I'm really interested to see how the whole assembly sequence goes on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neil,
      I was told Estes is making a small adjustment for a better fit of the ring. In this instance, using the assembly drawings to mark and check is important. The decals set on the outside of the ring require correct spacing.
      I won't always follow the assembly order. In this case I had to spray paint the ring before gluing the outside fins on. I wouldn't be able to get a decent, even gloss paint with the ring in the way.

      Delete
  2. Neil, I see that you had to mask and spray paint the rear fin ring seperately. Did you do both the inner and outer edges, using some tape to mask where the fins would attach?

    I can see using tape to cover the tube where the fins would be, and then paint the ring, then glue it on. But how to handle filleting the fins on the outside of the ring?

    Also, how did you handle the long angular "fins" that attach to the body and outside of the ring? It seems to me you'd almost have to glue the front of the fins to the body tube, masking the base of the fin where it attaches to the ring, then prime and paint, then add the rear ring afterwards, and pray you lined them up correctly so you can glue it.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bill,
      I had to mask quite a few root edge gluing lines on this model.
      I set the long outside fins on the ring and body, then mark to mask off the gluing areas. I usually make the glue area masking strips of tape a bit wider than the balsa stock for a fillet width. The fillets normally cover up and ridges. If there are paint ridges after the first undercoat spray, they are sanded smooth. After the next coat those lines are smooth.

      Delete