Thursday, July 23, 2020

Masks?

This post has nothing to do with the Corona Virus.
With the abundance of available masks, I hope you are wearing one when spray painting.
Years back there was a very well known luthier who had to give up guitar production after a few years of lacquer spraying without wearing a mask.
Rocket kit instructions always say to spray in a well ventilated area. I build and paint a lot of rockets and tend to spray outdoors.
If you can smell the paint, it's getting into your nasal passages and lungs! Play it safe - wear a mask.

2 comments:

  1. Good post... as for me, I spray outside as well. Not only do I wear a mask, but also eye goggles and plastic food service gloves. Better to be on the safe side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from fumes from paint and glues, let's not forget potential hazards of dust generated when sanding -- especially with plastics and resins.
    Kind'a shudder at the thought of the crazy stuff that I used to do when was much younger -- like not wearing gloves while washing out paint brushes in thinner or turpentine, or dunking mechanical parts in a bucket of gasoline to clean off caked-on and oil/grease/dirt in preparation for repair (e.g. bicycle chains come out clean as a whistle after a bit of a soak in gasoline and a light brushing with an old toothbrush). Obviously I'd wash my hands soon afterwards -- but they'd still reek of gasoline/thinner/kerosine/lighter fluid/turpentine/etc for a bit.

    ReplyDelete