Monday, July 13, 2020

Estes Tazz #7282 Background

The new Estes TAZZ is an updated version of the classic Gyroc kit.

The Gyroc (Kit K-24) was a big departure from the standard recovery eject rockets, the first kit to use "helicopter" recovery. Gene Street gets the well deserved design credit.
To see the original instructions: CLICK HERE

http://vintageestesrockets.com says the kit was introduced in 1967. The Semroc clone kit face card claims 1965. The earliest catalog I can find it in is the 1969 Estes catalog. (picture at the left)
I know it was available as a "Free Kit" with a $5.00 order. Maybe it was a giveaway before getting a page in the catalog.
EDIT: See the comments below for a kit number/time frame explanation by Bernard Cawley.

Good luck trying to mask that "barber pole" paint job!

In the early 1970s, the Gyroc was a good first launch of the day. A great rocket to test the wind direction as it didn't drift far.

The original Gyroc kit wasn't what I'd call "perfect". Built as shown in the instructions, the elastic was always left stretched out between launches. You could sew another elastic line through the fins, but I never did. I had floppy flaps! On this clone I did cut notches in the rudder fins so I could release the elastic.
The PRM (adhesive backed paper) hinges would develop cracks if painted.
Ejected engine casings aren't allowed at some club launches.
The new Tazz kit addresses these concerns.

BMS sold a clone kit for a while, today I don't see it listed on the website. These do show up occasionally on Ebay. The BMS kit used the standard ejected 18mm engine casing which released the flaps.

Semroc has introduced a BT-20 based Gyroc with some interesting upgrades. Their re-issue model uses 13mm engines, the engine mount ejects and return via streamer.
Semroc added notches to the "rudder' fins to allow a change of the rubber bands.

My Gyroc clone was assembled from spare parts and the original instructions back in 2014. To review the build: CLICK HERE
To date it has 12 launches and is a bit banged up. Time for an upgrade!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Chris!:

    The Gyroc is in the 1967 Estes catalog, but it is a giveaway, free with an order of $5.00 It is shown way back on page 81.

    Sincerely,
    J.W.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J.W.,
      I first the Gyroc when I got my start in 1969. I seem to remember seeing it somewhere (earlier) when going through catalogs at Ninfinger's.
      That explains one of the questions. Now, why would the Semroc face card say 1965? I'll ask Randy the next time I talk to him.

      Delete
  2. Well.....the Gyroc was K-24. The Alpha is K-25 and it first appeared in a Model Rocket News in December of 1965, so that implies, at least, that the Gyroc was around in some form that year as well. For whatever that's worth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernard,
      That makes sense! Who knows, the Gyroc release may have been delayed until after the Alpha.

      Delete