Friday, July 17, 2020

Estes Tazz #7282 Build, Part 3, Balsa and a Substitute Nose Cone

On the far left is the plastic nose cone that comes with the kit.

I'll be substituting a BT-50 Gyroc style nose cone. I like the older style cone better (because I'm old) and a blunt nose cone makes more sense considering it touches down nose first.

On the far right is the BT-20 based Gyroc next to the BT-50 based TAZZ with the switched out nose cone.



The fins edge on the left has the laser burned edge sanded about half off. On the right is the other fin edge sanded clean.

I'm showing this so you can see how rough a laser cut fin edge can be. A flat edge gives more glue contact area on the body tube. Glue doesn't stick as well to a burnt, ash edge.





Pretty interesting how the Part Q and P stabilizers fit into the wing slot.








These have a good friction fit even without glue. All lined up at 90 degrees to the wing plane without any coaxing.

3 comments:

  1. "I like the older style cone better (because I'm old)..."

    LOL, I gotta steal that line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris,
    Correct me if I'm wrong but the kit supplied nose cone appears to be the PNC-50Y which was used in several Estes rockets that are no longer produced. Unfortunately Estes doesn't seem to sell this nose cone in their bulk packs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jimmy,
      Yep, the profile matches and exposed length (above the shoulder) is 4 3/8" long so it is a PNC- 50Y.

      Delete