Monday, July 27, 2020

Overbuilding?

I've been known to replace a standard BT-20 and BT-50 with heavier wall tubes. I also use a Kevlar line to an elastic shock cord from the engine mount. 
But I've go my reasons. Thin wall tubes can crimp, rubber band shock cords deteriorate. That's usually where I draw the line.

I saw this on Facebook:


"I can never leave anything stock ..
I thought this was only the case for my vehicles, but I see it’s transferred over to my rockets too!
Some g10 on the way for TTW fins... I’m thinking 1 wrap of glass for the supplied thin wall BT. Said bye bye 18mmt and paper centering rings . I think A 29mm BP or composite motor would get this guy movin nicely! ??  will also get rail buttons and wood centering rings to make this one mean little rocket!!"



To each his own. We all handle rocket building a little differently. 
The Baby Bertha retails for $14.99 now. With most parts being replaced it looks like you bought an expensive nose cone.

9 comments:

  1. You know what he should have done?
    ...
    ...
    ...
    HE SHOULD HAVE PUT A G MOTOR IN IT AND GLASSED THE FINS!

    :^D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine what is car must look like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or if he has a guitar, it's a $100 Squier Strat Affinity with a Warmoth neck, Zephyr pickups and Callaham bridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta ditch the flimsy BT on that bad boy, replace with carbon fiber, glass tip to tip, add a sweet camera fairing and piston ejection system, and go with dual deploy.

    GPS in the nose cone, obvs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mach 1 sells Estes size nearly all fiberglass kits from BT-20 on up. They just use use Estes nose cones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thought this was your next build for a second--got excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is a YouTube video of a contest for how far you can push a Big Daddy. It is fun to watch. There are different categories from basically stock to do whatever you want without changing the dimensions. Not sure what club launch it was, can’t seem to locate it right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny! That's some serious overkill on a basic rocket kit. About the only thing I change on stock kits is the shock cord. Throw away the rubber cord and replace with sewing elastic twice to 3x the length.
    By the way, I have a $100 Squire Strat!
    The only thing I've upgraded are the tuner machines. It's my go-to electric.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I am the opposite. I like making them box stock with VERY minor changes. My cars are setup for SCCA autocross stock/street classes which are basically the same concept.

    ReplyDelete