Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Estes Saturn 1B, #7251 Build, Part 24, Outline Lower Body

The four painting pictures can be confusing. 

TIP: It's not mentioned in the instructions - starting from the left side, every picture (going to the right) is a quarter turn of the model.

To get a better idea (and play it really safe) I first taped the lower body with the black areas exposed. After I was sure, I marked the black areas with a "B". The tape was removed after pencil marks were made at 17/32" from the top of the tube.


After the tube black areas were marked, the scalloped fairing was set in position. The black outlines were continued up the fairing.
This would be a very difficult assembly to mask and spray with the fins in place. I'll paint the assembly and fins separately. The root edge areas will be carefully scraped off and the painted fins glued on later.
You are welcome to glue the fins on now and mask, but I find this works better for me.

The picture shows the black outlines and widened lines. 

Build time:
Sharpie Outline Low Section: 40 minutes
Total build time so far: 18 hours, 50 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment