Monday, December 28, 2020

Estes Saturn 1B, #7251 Build, Part 30, Command Module Mask & Shroud Line Harness

It isn't pictured here, but I did do quite a bit of touchup to the white and black mask areas. I'll add 20 minutes time below for the touchups.
   
The umbilical is painted silver.

I used five pieces of marked Scotch tape on the smooth plastic. Notice the fourth and fifth pieces are set at an angle, rounding off the corners.
I also do this on squared fin corners. I'm just knocking off the sharp corner tip, not going very deep.

The picture on the right is the rest of the capsule and tower masked off, just to spray the umbilical.




After the tape masks are pulled, the results were clean.

You'll have to mask off this silver later on when the dull coat is sprayed - otherwise the silver paint with look like a dull gray color.
The center of the LEM shroud lug is cut out.
This one had thick plastic, I couldn't just punch it out. It took a few cuts with an X-Acto to remove it.

The inside edges will be rough. I used a small diamond file to smooth it. A rough edge might wear through a shock cord.  
GOTCHA: You are supplied with a long length of shroud line to tie on the upper body chute harness. 
Give it a tug - If it easily breaks, replace it with stronger string. I always have some #10 cotton embroidery thread handy. It is very strong.

Build time:
Mask & Paint Umbilical, Clear Lug, Tie Swivel: 40 minutes
Total build time so far: 23 hours, 15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment