Thursday, December 3, 2020

Estes Saturn 1B, #7251 Build, Part 6, Fuel Body Tubes Primer/Filler




I did dry fit the fuel tubes in scalloped tank shroud.
This is one of the best new parts in the kit! A very good fit.



The eight fuel tubes needed a shot of Duplicolor Filler/Primer after the CWF was sanded to surface.

I had to shoot all these side by side then turn the tubes and hit the backside that didn't get covered by the first shot of filler/primer
If you do it right, this two step fill (CWF then filler/primer) should fill the body tube seams.

The filler/primer is lightly sanded with 220 grit, then smoothed with 400 grit.
TIP: Notice my left hand index finger in the end of the tube. This acts as a "bumper" and protects you from rolling over and sanding the tube end round. 


On the left is a fuel tube sprayed with filler/primer.

On the right is another tube after sanding off the bulk of the gray filler/primer.

Build time:
Spray & sand tubes - 1 hour, 20 minutes 
Total build time so far: 4 hours, 55 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Ok here we go. I bought the Saturn 1b from Estes; on sale for Presidents Day 2023. I expect it will turn out better than the one I built 50 years ago. I used Rusto sandable primer. The 8 little tubes turned out perfect. The upper tube will need another pass. Thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete