Monday, December 21, 2020

Launch, L.A.S.E.R., Groveland, FL, December 20, 2020



Cool weather, low winds and a small chance of afternoon rain. I took the 70 minute drive to Groveland to join the L.A.S.E.R. monthly launch.

I tried the MMX BLUE BIRD ZERO first, but had trouble with ignition. Bare nichrome in a tiny nozzle is iffy sometimes. I did get the launch in later in the session. Altitude was around 50 feet - but no streamer, just the nose cone ejected. No damage.



I did get two stable flights with the new Odd'l Rockets F-18 HORNET prototype! Good launches with B6-4 and C6-5 engines!

The B6-4 (left picture) was arrow straight to an estimated 350'. Full chute, some drift under the 12" chute - no damage.
On the right is the later C6-5 launch, I taped the chute partially closed, what I like to call a "Hillbilly Hat". Peak altitude was probably 675'. It still drifted, and landed in the road a few hundred feet away. Problem was - there was a fence between me and the road.

I pretty much grew up on a ranch, I know how to climb over a line of barbed wire at the top of the fence, but it's been a few years. I got the rocket back - before it could get run over. The barbed wire did it's job, I scratched up my right hand.




David Hofmann brought a few square rockets, New Way style.
Here's a square, Der Big Red Max.








Jim Lytle launched a Styrofoam Snowman and a Christmas tree! This one was more stable than what you saw on that Discovery Channel "Rocket Around the Christmas Tree" TV special.






Today's visiting launch dog was "Beau", a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel mix.









Astron Mike launched a helicopter recovery rocket along with some gliders. This one is a pop-pod glider made from foam board with a hand rolled tube. 
Mike's gliders are large and light. Most have long, lazy circling recoveries.









I haven't launched the MX-774 in a while, today with an Estes B6-4 to 350'. This build was a kitbash made from an Estes Bullpup.






There's club President, Mike Meridith decked out for the holidays.

Mike landed one of his Frank Burke R/C gliders to the applause of the club members!




My only Q-Jet composite motor of the day was this B4-4 flight in my GOONY X-15.  I couldn't get the igniter to ignite - the first one was broken. Q-Jet igniters can be fragile!
Finally, ignition! Grey smoke and quiet compared to the B.P. motors.
Estimated altitude would be around 325'. 






Whey do they miss the grass and land on the only blacktop in the area?



Ted Moo observes the action after launching his helicopter rocket twice with good success.

Also launched - Semroc SNAKE JUMPER with an Estes B6-4.
I got six in the air today - recovered all with little damage.
I was most excited (and a bit nervous) about trying the larger (and slightly heavier) engines in the F-18 Odd'l Rockets prototype.

6 comments:

  1. Great launches Chris. Sundays are tough for me, but I'll make it out to L.A.S.E.R. soon. I'm really missing launching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve,
      Fairly large field, much bigger than the Orlando ROCK. They use individual Estes 6 volt controllers on the eight LPR launchers. A mid power launcher is set-up and available. Hope to see you and the family soon - Happy Birthday!

      Delete
  2. Your X-15 Goony should be another kit idea! X-15’s are big sellers! Apogee appears to have done really well with its release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      I had plans to do an X-15 Goony kit but can't get or print the white on the decals. That and the balsa nose cone might raise the cost of the kit too high.

      Delete
    2. Yes it presents a lot difficulties. Decals possibly from stickershock. If you could keep it under $45?? Hard to say??

      Delete
    3. Hi Anonymous,
      I can see using vinyl on a larger model, but not on something this size. Having someone else make vinyl decals would add another expensive part that would put the kit price out of reach.

      Delete